Thursday 14 April 2011

Assignment 2: Elements of Design: Rhythm

Rhythm:  Updated 23/04/11

I feel a little ambiguous about this image. It's one of those that worked well in my head but maybe doesn't quite work in reality.  It has the optical beat taking the eye from left to right and the change in direction looping across the top to keep the eye moving. I'll think about this again to see if I can improve on the idea or abandon it all together. Perhaps it should have more impact?

5314 1/125s f16 36mm. (two lights, 60cm soft box 45º to right, 30cm soft box to fill shadows 45º to left)

(click on the image to enlarge in a new window)

I thought more about this and decided to abandon this idea. Instead I have used sliced leeks and mushrooms layed out in a flan case to give optical rhythm:

5413: 1/125s f22 35mm standard lens, lit from above with 60cm softbox.

(click on the image to enlarge in a new window)
I have placed this centrally in the frame as a circle is inherently stable. The tension and movement are contained and enhanced by the shape. I resisted the temptation to crop the image to a square to leave room for implied movement from left to right. I have included a diagram below to demonstrate the optical rhythm.


No comments:

Post a Comment